PVGA Life Member – Herb Pollock
Herb Pollock of Indiana, Indiana County was the fifth generation raised on Green Park Farm, a dairy and potato farm located near Marion Center, Indiana County. His father Clark was among the first farmers in the state to make the 400-Bushel Club with potatoes. Herbert graduated from Marion Center High School in 1944. He served in the Army Military Police in Germany from 1945-46. He graduated from Penn State University in 1951 with a degree in Agricultural Economics. From 1951 to 1953, Herb experienced international agriculture through American Friends Service Committee by helping Arabs improve their production practices in a village in Israel.
He returned to the family farm for two years and then taught vocational agriculture for one and a half years on a temporary teaching certificate at his alma mater, Marion Center. In 1957 he started working for Eastern States Farmers Exchange which became Agway in 1964. For 34 years, Herb called on fruit, vegetable and potato growers in central and western Pennsylvania and eastern Ohio selling seed, fertilizer, chemicals, and supplies and providing technical service. For two years he worked as a crop specialist with 10 salesmen. He retired from Agway in 1990 and for the next six years worked as a crop consultant.
Herb served 32 years on the Indiana County Conservation District Board serving as chair for six years and vice-chair for seven years. He served on the Indiana County Fair Board for 25 years and was president for three years. After retiring from the board, he was Superintendent of the Fruit and Vegetable Department. He has been a member of Kiwanis since 1969 serving as President in 1979.
In 1975, Herb and his wife Mary Nell, who passed away in October 2010, starting growing pick-your-own strawberries in the Indiana area – an operation his son and grandsons continue to operate. The Pollocks have two children – Robert, who is the Penn State Extension Director in Indiana Co., and Marilyn – plus grandchildren.
Herb was a member of PVGA for over 25 years and served on the Board of Directors from 1994 to 2003. The Association is pleased to name him a Life Member in recognition of not only his service to the Association, but his years of dedicated service to the vegetable growers and agricultural community in general in southwestern Pennsylvania.